New York City and Boston

posted in: Vacations | 0

August 6 – 11, 2017 – My brother Greg along with his wife Cynthia and daughter Nicole went to New York City and then on to Boston. It was a trip for Nicole to experience the Big Apple and some of the history in Boston. Maria and I joined them on Sunday, the day after they arrived and left one day before they flew home. We spent three days in NYC and 2 days in Boston.  Maria and I said goodbye and spent our last night in Middleton, RI so we could visit Newport before coming home.



Sunday August 6th – Maria and I traveled by bus to New York City.  After arriving around 10:00 AM we checked in to our nearby hotel, the Marriott Marquis.  It was a nice sunny day.  Maria had a show ticket to see “Bandstand” in the afternoon.  While she was at the show I walked along with Greg, Cynthia, and Nicole north through Central Park.  Greg and I picked out the Havana Central for dinner later that evening where we all had a nice Cuban dinner.


Monday August 7th – Today we planned a trip to Liberty and Ellis Island.  Heavy rain was predicted.  In the end it turned out well and the rain which seemed to come and go did not interrupt our plans to much.  Before taking the ferry we briefly toured the financial district.  Maria and I got to take the ferry to the islands and we all had a late lunch on Ellis Island.  I had a lobster roll.  We headed back north to Midtown and allowed Greg, Cynthia, and Nicole to see some of the other sites we have previously seen.  They had a long day but got to see the 911 memorial museum, and went to the top of the world trade center.  Back in Midtown, Maria and I went to dinner at the revolving “View” restaurant atop our hotel.

Tuesday August 8th – Maria and I went through the NBC Studio tour in the morning.  Before we took the tour we saw outside the Today Show on Rockefeller Plaza.  It was interesting seeing the studios, and where the broadcasters worked.  We got to see the set for Saturday Night Live and our small group also got to make a small production too!!  In the afternoon our friend Chee Chan took us on a tour of Chinatown and we had some real Dim Sum lunch!  Later that evening Maria and I went to see Hello Dolly while Greg, Cyntia, and Nicole saw Wicked.  Before we went to the show we all had an Italian dinner at  Da Marino.  We all liked the shows.  Greg and I went out later that night.


Wednesday August 9th – Our transport for our trip to Boston arrived about 9:30 – we got to Boston around 1:30 and checked into our hotel, the Marriot Long Wharf.  The area was really nice with parks, fountains, and nearby attractions all along the water.  We were all hungry and headed across the street to the Quincy Market near Faneuil Hall. What a bunch of vendors all ready for the tourists.  I had some clams and Cynthia was really interested in getting some chowder.  After lunch we separated for the remainder of the day. Maria and I had a visit with the Ranger and walked around the North Side which has a rather confusing set of streets compared to Manhattan.  We stumbled onto the Villa Francesca restaurant and had an early dinner that we both liked very well.


Thursday August 10th – Maria and I went on a tour of the North Side from the Free Tours folks.  We learned a lot as we took our 90 minute walk through the area.  Afterwords we stopped to get some cookies and other deserts. That evening we had dinner at Legal Seafood near the hotel.  Greg and I went out later that night.  Maria and I said our goodbyes as we were leaving early in the morning to visit Newport.


Friday August 10th – During my walk to get the car I took a few pictures of downtown, the Boston Commons and the Central Burying Grounds.   We drove to Middleton, RI this morning/afternoon and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott.  During our drive we stopped at the Cove Restaurant in Fall River, MA for lunch. Later we walked around downtown Newport and stumbled upon a small glass shop at the end of the town.   After talking a bit we found out that the shop has made ornaments for the White House Christmas tree!


Saturday August 11th – We returned to Baltimore taking a cab back home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *